Search This Blog and Bert Postings

Monday, May 6, 2013

Django Unchained (2012) rating: 9/10

I am not a big fan of Quentin Tarantino. I think most of his films are needlessly violent, though I understood that was part of his style. At the time of its release, I liked Pulp Fiction probably because of the great music. But I had reservations about the promotion of hit men as good or funny.

But Django Unchained is different. It is less ambiguous about its good and bad. And I guess I just like a simple good versus evil story. This is something this movie delivers in spades with a couple unequivocally good and smart heroes.

Waltz switches sides from the villian in Inglorious Bastards and becomes the worldly yet practical German bounty hunter (here, a good guy version of hit man) who in fact speaks excellent French as well. Eventually he takes Foxx's Django as his protege. Later, they take on the wicked but smart DiCapro playing plantation owner, Candie.


No comments: