Search This Blog and Bert Postings

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (2007)

Imelda Staunton is very good here as the overzealous perfectionist minion of the ministry of magic. Radcliffe seems to have gotten dramatically older.

As with the rest of the series, it's a tough slog to try to believe the whole whatchamacallit. I'm just too old I guess -- yeah, yeah, I should just enjoy it, I know.

But I was reminded again of the strange parallels with Lord of the Rings in Harry Potter lore. I've mentioned before the invisibility cloak vs the one ring of power, but in this book, the mind to mind connection of protagonist and villian is manifested via some sort of spell rather than via a device, but seeing something so similar seems disappointingly stale. Did Tolkien use all the interesting ideas in the fantasy genre?

No comments: