Search This Blog and Bert Postings

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Kingdom (2007)

Intriguing movie drew me in despite the seemingly controversial subject matter. Action keeps moving. Acting is good enough. I wondered that one of the actors playing an officer in the Saudi army might have been played by an Israeli though, by his Israeli sounding English accent. ( And in fact, looking at imdb, the dude was born in Israel! Wow, I could be a CIA operative. A low level one maybe. Alright maybe not. )

Anyway, the movie is well done, and I wonder if Arabs will appreciate the seemingly even handed portrayal.

# # #
A NYT article about young Saudis. An interesting snippet: '“If you want to know what your wife looks like, look at her brother,” Nader said in defending the practice of marrying someone he had seen only once, briefly, as a child.' Also, I didn't realize that Saudi men can marry more than one woman. But, man, this idea of marrying without even seeing your wife sucks.

No comments: