Search This Blog and Bert Postings

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath

Didn't take the assessment since the code from the book was already used (from that perspective not a very environmentally friendly print book -- the print version cannot be fully used by more than one person), but I was able to somewhat guess what strengths I thought fit me. I guess it's useful in framing/categorizing what your strengths are in a more formal way and separating out similar, but actually disparate strengths. All this in a spirit of know thyself/to thyself be true.

I was at first surprised at the existence of strength categories like: context, input or significance. But these are actually: always seeing things in context, thirst for input (or curiosity), and wanting to be of significance. (My guess was none of these areas are my strengths.)

One insight perhaps of the book is that: people tend to focus on their weaknesses to improve, but then it goes on: why not improve on a strength, build on something you're already good at or have a talent for. (Somehow role playing game specialization and character points jumps to mind.) Being well rounded might just be overrated. Instead team up with someone else with similar or different strengths.

No comments: