Search This Blog and Bert Postings

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Oscar 2012 movies

The Artist:  Gimmicky and self-conscious. I'd seen a couple silent movies before this one and noticed the focus on expression, the 'mugging for the camera' and it seemed interesting and novel then. Extending that interest to this contrived throwback to the silent movie era was difficult. Uggie was amazing, but knowing that he was being coached throughout every scene from the sidelines detracted from the experience.  Rating 6/10

The Iron Lady:  Not really a flattering portrait of Margaret Thatcher. A union busting war-making Prime Minister. I'm afraid I didn't like the movie as much because I didn't like her. Meryl Streep is good though. Rating 6/10

Moneyball:  Better than expected considering I'm not a baseball or A's fan. Rating 7/10

Midnight in Paris:  Not so great, although Paris looks nice. Rating 5/10

The Descendants:  Wow, I really liked this movie. The acting is good. The story is good. A little laid back Hawaiian culture lesson. Plus a minor plot line about mega riches. One bummer is there are no good looking guys in this picture. Women may swoon over the popular and funny Clooney, but I find he's old and unattractive here. Rating 8/10

No comments: